Me and Earl and the Dying Girl Book Review

0
Me and Earl and the Dying Girl Book Review. This review will be entirely spoiler free so if you haven't read this book written by Jesse Andrews yet feel free to stay with this review. I have heard about this book for a year, ever since it came out.

I watched the movie trailer and I told my self that i have to see this film and then when I saw a copy at local bookstore, I snatched it up. I know a lot pf people love this book and I really wanted to love it, but I DID NOT. It just really wasn't my taste.

Me and Earl and the Dying Girl is about a boy named Greg who like making movies with friend. Earl. And there is this girl named Rachel who was diagnose with leukemia. So his mother forces him to hang out with Rachel before she passes away.

Me and Earl and the Dying Girl Book

So it is another cancer book, technically but nit really. What Jesse Andrews does is he subverts this cancer book throb and instead of having this cancer story full with sick people, Andrews basically does the opposite. He infuses his novel with silliness and humor. I liked the idea of that.

But I guess in practice, for the most part it just did not really work. I think it is because of one thing, the humor. I am not saying it's not funny, but for me it is very offensive.

I found the humor ok but I thought for a book which was (maybe?!) conveying a profound message, the characters had a certain  air of "my life is meaningless" to them. On one hand that's a nice change from the typical YA "I'm the most important person in the universe" or "you eternally changed my life" stereotype, but also kind of a let down for the reader on the other hand.

Previous review: Joy movie trailer review

Post a Comment

0Comments
* Please Don't Spam Here. All the Comments are Reviewed by Admin.
Post a Comment (0)
To Top